Monday, January 26, 2009

Wicked Economic News

I was a bit disturbed by an opportunity that came my way the other day but quickly got over it to take advantage of what is another informal sign of just how bad this financial crisis is. I was offered free tickets, through a stage manager friend on the show, to the hit Broadway show Wicked.   Now, being a downtown Beckett man, Wicked is not the type of show I'd normally see but I'm not above enjoying a well reviewed Broadway musical, particularly when the tickets are free.  But what occurred to me after I accepted the offer is that it's a show that has always been impossible to get comps to.  I have a lot of connections in the theater business and can usually get "house seats" (full price tickets held back for cast and crew) to any number of hard to get into shows, but getting comps to a show sold out months in advance like Wicked is not a normal state of affairs.  If there was going to be any recession proof show on Broadway, Wicked, and maybe Jersey Boys, was it.  And the fact that I'm getting unsolicited comps of previously hard to come by tickets makes me worry about the fate of my beloved New York City even more.